Resources of a Ram

Jack Kramer, News Editor

The transition into high school can be a difficult one, from challenging academics to a new social landscape to limited time with sports and extracurriculars. Although it can seem like a daunting task, trying to balance all of this while trying to adjust to life at Ramsey High School, there are countless resources for you to take advantage of.

If you ever need someplace to work on a project, do research, or write a paper, the library, or media center, is the perfect place for you. Open throughout the day from before school to after school, the library allows students to use the computers and printers, which is super helpful when you’re in a pinch. If you ever need help using a computer program or looking for a book for a paper, or even just to read, feel free to ask Mrs. Kakaty, our media specialist, who is always happy to help. The library is a great place to work and provides so many resources for students.

The writing center, located in the same hallway as the library, is another great resource for you to take advantage of. The writing center is open during lunch and is an excellent place to work on an essay. An English teacher will normally be available to help you proofread and organize your essay. It is a great environment in which to work, and your teachers will definitely be able to tell that you went to the writing center after reading your near perfect essay.

Math is hard. Everyone, at some time in their life, has struggled with math. Maybe the concept was strange to you, or you just couldn’t wrap your head around an equation. If something like this ever happens to you at RHS, don’t hesitate to go to the math center, located in the math hallway, during lunch. There, one of our many great math teachers can assist you one-on-one or in a group, helping you to learn and understand the material.

Furthermore, if you are having trouble in any subject, you can stop by the guidance department on the first floor and request a tutor. Seniors who are members of the National Honors Society who have already taken the classes you are taking now are available to tutor you in a variety of subjects from biology to algebra to history. This can really help boost your grade in a class while also allowing you to connect with an upperclassmen.

Ramsey High School has one of the best guidance departments in the county. Unlike guidance at Smith, the guidance at Ramsey deals strictly with your courses and academics. They are there to help you figure out what you want to do and how you are going to get there. Feel free to stop in for a quick chat in the mornings or during lunch, but usually try to make sure that you have an appointment and know what you want to talk with your guidance counselor about, whether that be college, a class you want to drop, or plans for the coming years. Whatever your query, the guidance counselors are always there to help (shoutout to my guidance counselor Mrs. Kilday!).

If you ever have a social problem such as an argument in your friend group, our Student Assistance Counselor Ms. Roberts is the person you would go to. Her office is off of the Prospect lobby near the big gym. Her visits are always confidential, and she meets with students both one-on-one and in larger groups depending on the situation. If you or a classmate deals with stress, substance abuse, or are just struggling emotionally or socially, don’t be afraid to get help, and Ms. Roberts is the perfect person to help you.

As you can see, Ramsey High School boasts countless resources for you to take advantage of. If you work hard and utilize all that this high school has to offer, I can guarantee that these will be some of the best four years of your life!