The Musical Talent of Mrs. Saltzman

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Musical Talent of Mrs. Saltzman

Sophia Berkofsky, Opinion Editor

The Ramsey High School Chorus has been big news these past couple years, and that can be attributed to the care and hard work put in by the chorus’s director, Mrs. Saltzman.

After working with numerous other schools and singing groups, we are very happy to have her here at Ramsey High School – and she certainly is doing a lot for our chorus. Aside from directing the chorus (which is so big this year it requires a morning and afternoon class), she also advises Ram Jams – an exceedingly talented audition based singing group – and she directs the high school’s after school chorus a cappella group. In addition to that, Mrs. Saltzman teaches the music theory class and the digital music production class, and she is one of the advisors of the G.S.A. club. Mrs. Saltzman is a gifted vocalist and musician herself, and when she is not enriching the musical knowledge of others, she is augmenting her own education by working to earn her master’s degree in music edition in a summer program at Florida State University.

Last year, the Ramsey High School Chorus traveled to sing at Disney World, and sang on stage at Carnegie Hall with the classic rock band Foreigner. A true testament to their talent, being one of only five finalist chosen by radio station WAXQ-FM 104.3 to have this incredible opportunity. While Ramsey wasn’t the ultimate winner of the competition, it was undoubtedly an extremely rewarding experience, with one member describing it as “jaw-dropping”. The chorus’ a cappella rendition of “Electric Love” by Børns performed on the Carnegie Hall stage will definitely go down in Ramsey history as very proud moment for the school.

This year, they have been selected to perform ahead of the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall on December 12th, another once in a lifetime opportunity that Mrs. Saltzman made a reality for these Ramsey students. Not only is this a valuable experience in front of a (very large) crowd, it is the unique adventure of participating in a show that, every year, is seen by over a million people from all over the world.

For all the astounding work that Mrs. Saltzman has done for Ramsey High School, her students are enormously grateful to have her has a teacher and as a director. Chorus member Lucy Castellano describes Mrs. Saltzman as a “very open-minded teacher,” saying that Mrs. Saltzman “really cares about her students.” With many accomplishments under her belt since she started teaching at Ramsey High School, students are lucky to have Mrs. Saltzman guide them through the ways of music