• COME SEE THE FALL PLAY 11/15-11/17

• DODGE BALL TOURNAMENT 11/15

Lady Rams Rewrite History in County Tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

Julia Bressi, Spotlight Editor

The brisk weather of October is a pivotal time period for most fall athletes. This marks the coming of the county tournament, a highly competitive series where all Bergen County high schools face off to see who’s number one. For soccer, games for the county title prove to be more competitive and rewarding than any other state or league game. The tournament takes place each Sunday in October and becomes increasingly challenging when it reaches the Final Four. The Lady Rams girls’ soccer team has a reputation of being a fairly exceptional program. Each year, they make a fair run in the league and in the state section. However, when new coach Kevin Sabella was sworn in, counties was the only topic on his agenda. In season he would repeatedly state, “I want to be a team that makes the paper and will play on cold Sundays in October.” The determination to succeed led the girl’s team to challenge themselves by playing difficult state ranked teams such as Watchung Hills (12th in the state) and Morris Knolls (15th in the state).

Hard work has paid off for the Rams as they have a 10-1-3 record. Now that it is October, the main focus for the Rams is counties; their goal is to make the semi finals, dubbed the Final Four.

Now that the tournament has come, the Rams are alive and thriving and have finally achieved their goal, making the first final four since 2004. The Rams, the 7th seed, have proven their skill by beating two tough teams, Demarest and Glen Rock, in the round of 16 and quarterfinals. The game versus Glen Rock was pivotal for the Rams to makes their dreams a reality. The 80 minutes of soccer was grueling and both teams put up a tough fight. Junior Alexa Correa scored the first goal of the game, but during the second half the game ended up being tied 1-1. The teams went into the overtime, where fate was to be decided by golden girl, first one to score wins. Corrine Kropas answered for her team, nailing a shot past the goalie. The Rams were ecstatic, and Coach Sabella led the team in charging the field. The win was well deserved for the Rams, where the long preseasons and grueling scrimmages played a major role in preparing them.

After playing in the final four on Sunday, October 22nd, against River Dell, the Rams continued to persevere and held off from number 2 in the county and number 10 in the state, Ramapo. After two overtimes, the two teams were tied at 1-1, where they then preceded to determine the victor by penalty kicks. The Rams ended up winning four kicks to three, in another historic victory that would grant them their first county final since 2002.

• Lady Rams Rewrite History in County Tournament

News

Renovation Plan Proposed by School Board is Approved by Majority of Votes

• Spotlight

Thank You Mrs. Kakaty

Opinion

The Importance of Student Journalism

News

Remembering Ramsey’s Sacrifice on the 100th Anniversary of Armistice Day

Entertainment

Ramsey on the Big Screen with Lez Bomb

News

Degrees Deferred by War, Finally Conferred

• News

Meet Mr. Craumer!

News

Bobby Taylor: The Man Behind “Girls Who Code”

Spotlight

Grace Robblee Leaves Her Mark at RHS

News

Ramsey’s Big Blue Marches in the Magic Kingdom