Ramsey Lacrosse Establishing a Winning Tradition

William Kennedy, Staff Writer

The Ramsey High Boy’s Lacrosse team has jumped out to an 8-1 record, including a perfect 5-0 in-conference record in the Cullen Division, while even winning many of their games in dominating fashion. The program, in its second varsity year, is set to take on Demarest as the 8th seed in the upcoming Bergen County Tournament.

Players such as Tyler Harmon, Rob Sciubba, Declan Rybacki, Matt Spagnoleti, and Andrew Bonan have contributed greatly to the success of their squad, averaging nearly 14 goals a game combined. Offensive pace setters include Tommy Fatuova and Garrett Mast with senior, Matt Lowery taking most of the face offs.

The defense is led by Mario Ferraro alongside Ross Woods, Luke Monaco, Dan Botta, Joe Kalksma. Coming off an impressive season as backup goaltender of the state championship winning hockey team, junior Thomas Moor anchors the red zone for the lacrosse team. The defense has recently had to work hard to overcome the loss of star senior, Thomas McCormack, to injury this season.

A second year at the varsity level has brought its own challenges amidst the success that Ramsey has had thus far. From Coach Dan DeMartino’s perspective, the focus has clearly shifted from teaching fundamentals to teaching strategy and developing advanced lacrosse IQ so that players can recognize situations on the field as well as make their own adjustments. An emphasis has been placed on mental toughness and playing through adversity.

Lacrosse is a sport unique to North America, and the northeast United States in particular. The one year old Creamer Field provides a true home field for the young program. In addition to a relatively new home field, the youth programs in town have become a key part of recruitment and future growth of the team. Players from the high school take part in youth clinics with young players which according to Coach Demartino, bridges the gap between the youth and high school programs well.

Despite their success, Mr. DeMartino, a history teacher at RHS, keeps the team grounded by pointing out the difficulty ahead, “There is a lot of lacrosse left to play, and the players recognize that how they respond down the stretch is important. The team has worked very hard to this point to earn these victories and will need to work even harder as our schedule gets progressively more difficult.”