Brett Kavanaugh to Supreme Court

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brett Kavanaugh to Supreme Court

Elizabeth Rakowski, Staff Writer

Brett Kavanaugh was nominated to the Supreme Court by President Donald Trump on July 8th, 2018. Before his nomination, Professor Christine Blasey Ford contacted a Washington Post tip line with allegations that Kavanaugh had sexually assaulted her during the early 1980s while the two of them were in high school. Two other women also came forward and accused Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct. Kavanaugh denied all three allegations. Following a Republican-controlled Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, the Committee stated that all allegations were unsubstantiated and an additional FBI investigation came to the same conclusion.

Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court was officially confirmed on October 6th in a vote of 50-48 and he was sworn in later that day. Just days before the midterm elections, Senator Chuck Grassley has asked federal authorities to investigate several people who he says made false against Justice Kavanagh. Grassley has claimed, in a letter to the Department of Justice and FBI, that a woman by the name of Judy Munro-Leighton took responsibility for authoring an anonymous letter that made allegations that Kavanaugh and a friend raped her. Munro-Leighton recanted and said that she was not, in fact. the author and had never met Kavanaugh after being interviewed by Senate investigators. Grassley has also asked federal authorities to investigate Julie Swetnick who accused Kavanaugh of drunken behavior and sexual Assault. Her lawyer, Michael Avenatti, and a man who was never publicly identified, recanted an allegation he had made against Kavanaugh. The timing of the request could help reignite Kavanaugh’s role in the midterm elections.

In my opinion this new information comes at suspicious time and doesn’t prove much of anything. Grassley is claiming that Munro-Leighton wrote an anonymous letter making false claims, but after being investigated she said she had never met Kavanaugh and was not the author of the letter. Obviously there are always going to be false claims of rape, but that doesn’t mean that the other women who came forward, like Professor Ford, were lying or that Kavanaugh never raped or harassed them. Republicans are trying to claim that Democrats set up ploys in order to stop Kavanaugh from being nominated but there is no evidence of any of this.