• COME SEE THE FALL PLAY 11/15-11/17

• DODGE BALL TOURNAMENT 11/15

Times Have Changed, Reflects Ford-Kavanaugh Hearing

Nicole Braun, Managing Editor

The nation was glued to their screens on Thursday, September 28th as the hearings of Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and Judge Brett Kavanaugh commenced. Viewers on both sides of the aisle watched, tweeted, commented, and shared some critical moments in United States Senate Judiciary Committee history. The Committee had been called to investigate Ford’s accusations that Kavanaugh, who was nominated for the Supreme Court, sexually assaulted her when they were in high school in 1982. Kavanaugh has since vehemently denied these claims.

The next day, President Donald Trump announced that he called for an FBI investigation to look into Ford’s accusations, and Republican Senators agreed to delay Kavanaugh’s confirmation vote. The president is the only one with the power to call for such an action, and Democratic senators were urging the president to initiate the inquiry at the hearing. Republicans, on the other hand, stated that Kavanaugh had been through enough background checks already.

One of the principal debates that arose as a result of Ford’s is whether or not her experience should be taken into consideration during Kavanaugh’s confirmation process. After all, the alleged assault took place over thirty years ago. “They were both in high school,” people argued. “It happened all the time.” However, just because the assault occurred thirty years prior does not diminish the fact that it happened.

People question why Ford did not report Kavanaugh’s abuse when it happened in 1982. The truth of the matter is that there was a slim chance that law enforcement would have believed her and investigated the incident. It would have been incomprehensible to think that Brett Kavanaugh, a boy from a good family, would ever commit such a heinous crime. Thankfully, times are different now, and we are living in the era of the Me Too movement, a society that is learning to support survivors and their painful stories.

People ask why Ford’s abuse matters now. Her abuse matters now because women matter and their stories do, too. Period. Ford’s abuse is not a partisan issue; it is a human issue. Her truth-telling is not a calculated attack organized by Democrats. Kavanaugh is right, his confirmation process has turned into “a national disgrace;” It is disgraceful that Americans are mistaking a woman’s trauma as a political strategy. Ford is “100 percent” confident that Kavanaugh violated her that day in 1982. Now, in 2018, we need to prove to her, and survivors everywhere, that their stories still, and will always, matter.