Nicole Braun’s Farewell

Nicole Braun's Farewell

Nicole Braun, Editor-in-Chief

I have been thinking about what I was going to write in this reflection for so long that it actually feels surreal to be typing it now. (That’s such a nerdy thing to say, but I am the Editor-in-Chief of the school newspaper, so…) These are obviously not the circumstances I thought I would be writing this under. But I don’t want to dwell on that. I’m sure we’re all sick and tired of hearing about the virus that has upended our lives. Instead, I’ll talk about the school that we love.

In The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Ponytail Derek says, “you really find yourself in high school,” and I couldn’t agree with that sentiment more. I did find myself, or, at least part of myself, at Ramsey High School. I entered high school absolutely ecstatic to join the school newspaper, in fact, I was late to volleyball practice because I didn’t want to miss the first Ram meeting in the fall of 2016. I knew I wanted to write, but over the past four years, as a member of this staff and at this school, I also learned that I had something to say. 

While it was exhilarating to see my work published, even more so when my thoughts caused a fuss, the part of The Ram that I will cherish the most is working with the editorial staff (you know who you are). Brainstorming sessions after school that eventually devolved into analyzing conspiracy theories or TV plots are some of my favorite memories from high school. Thank you to all the friends that I forced to either read, write for, or join the staff of The Ram. I truly believe that The Ram staff will always be a mishmosh of people either forced to be involved, bribed, or with a genuine interest in journalism. Anyway, thank you all. Especially you, Margaux, my best editor.

Mr. Walsh, technically speaking, I have more experience with The Ram than you, but I am still glad that we figured it out together, and made The Ram into a somewhat functional newspaper. There have definitely been times when The Ram’s future was a little grim, and we almost gave up hope, but we made it through in the end. Bobby, I have complete faith in you next year, and I have two pieces of advice for you: 1. Convince your friends to join the staff. By any means necessary. 2. InDesign is not for the faint of heart; don’t let it sense your fear.

Now I need to thank all of my teachers who nurtured my journalistic pursuits and encouraged me to speak my mind. Mrs. Alcaide, thank you for turning this shy kid into a first-place varsity debater. You are the best T a TA could ever ask for, and I am forever grateful for our talks during Gov and study halls spent grading notecards and eating M&Ms. To Mrs. Martin, thank you for giving me the best advice, even when it wasn’t what I wanted to hear. You are a pillar of RHS and I feel sad for the students who will never be taught by you. Thanks for teaching me to live deliberately. Mrs. Palko, thank you for tolerating my exasperated looks after you gave us a reasonable amount of work. I hate physics but I really love you. Finally, thank you Mrs. Kilday for answering my litany of questions and for somehow managing to send this ball of nerves off to college. You’re a wonder. There aren’t enough “thank you’s” in the world to express my appreciation for the dedicated and unique staff of RHS.

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I sign off as Editor-in-Chief of The Ram, a position that is so close to my heart, but this graduate’s profile must end. 99% of the high school doesn’t even read The Ram, but to the 1% who do, I send my endless thanks. I am so grateful for all of my successes and disappointments, the friendships I have gained, and the bonds I’ve strengthened these past four years. Ramsey High School is a truly special place, and I will forever treasure my tenure as a Ramsey ram.