Tips for Success at RHS

Nicole Braun, Editor-in-Chief

Wandering the halls of RHS might feel a little daunting right now. (I’ve been there, trust me when I say it gets easier.) High school is a considerable jump from middle school, and between all the clubs, electives, and new lunch options, I’m sure school is a little overwhelming. So, here are some tips for succeeding at RHS.

1. Get involved.

I’m sure you’re tired of hearing this, but it is the best advice I can give you. Extracurricular clubs are the best way to explore your current interests and discover new ones. In my experience, extracurriculars were a space where I could be myself and bond with people, from all grades, who share my passions. 

On another note, while I am sure senior year seems like it’s eons away right now, it’s not. You will be applying for colleges three short years from now, and institutions like to see that you have stuck with an activity throughout your whole high school career. 

For more information on RHS’s extracurriculars, check out Margaux Bouniol’s article “Join A Club!”

2. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

If you’re struggling with a class, you should communicate with your teacher. Talk to them after class, arrange a meeting with them during lunch or after school. Don’t be afraid to speak up, teachers are there to help you, and they want to see you succeed. 

Also, during lunch, check out the writing center and the math center. The English teachers in the writing center (conveniently located next to the library) are available to help you brainstorm and edit your essay. Similarly, in the math center, in Room 221, math teachers are there to help you with your homework, test prep, and with any lessons you might be confused on. Additionally, in October, the National Honor Society is setting up a tutoring center in the library lounge. Stop in there during lunch or during your study hall to receive free peer-tutoring. 

Check out Robert Taylor’s “Study Skills” and Sam Braun’s “Introducing the New NHS Study Center” for more information.

3. Take time to relax.

Just like you shouldn’t be afraid to ask for help, you shouldn’t be afraid to know your limits. If you start to get overwhelmed, whether by school or clubs, remember it’s only high school, and it’s not worth stressing over. It took me too long to learn this lesson, and I really wish I knew it going into freshman year.

I leave you with this one last bit of random advice: If you want to make a Starbucks run during lunch, but you don’t think you can make it back in time — you can’t. No matter how you try to rationalize it, never trust a brain that craves caffeine.

Enjoy your freshman year!