• HS Relay for Life Bank Night 5/23/2017 6:30 PM

• HS National Honor Society Induction 5/22/2017 7:00 PM

2017 Ramsey Sing Out

Kaeli Brennan, Video Editor

On Saturday, April 29th, Officer Diane Warnet worked with more than 50 fifth graders and volunteers to make the annual “Sing Out” show a success. The competition, previously known as “D.A.R.E. Idol,” and led by the D.A.R.E. program, has been rebooted. When the D.A.R.E. program was discontinued in Ramsey schools due to new regulations, the Ramsey Police Department stepped up and created L.E.A.D., or Law Enforcement Against Drugs, because they felt that the message within the program was still necessary. The L.E.A.D. program states on their webpage that “students first learn essential life skills that help them build a foundation for a healthy lifestyle… After developing these life skills, students were introduced to the dangers of drugs and alcohol.”

The L.E.A.D. program holds social events to increase “positive interactions” between students in order for them to excel. As the show began, Officer Diane Warnet praised the students for their bravery in trying out for the singing competition and made each student who tried out feel special by announcing their name and allowing them to walk across the stage. The final fifteen contestants were judged by a group of three volunteers with musical backgrounds. Positivity was clearly a key theme throughout the night, as each contestant was given a “critique.”

There was a great amount of talent in the group of elementary students, and each contestant captured the audience’s attention and hearts. Although each contestant did an amazing job, Nina Davis took first place singing Taylor Swift’s “Mean”. The audience was clearly moved during many of the performances and each contestant brought their own unique flair to the event.

Many of the contestants also incorporated dance moves, anti-drug themes, and talked about the messages within their songs. The concert was truly a success as the Ramsey fifth graders showed off their immense talent while spreading a positive message, thanks to the L.E.A.D. program.

2017 Ramsey Sing Out